1. iThemba Lethu | 221 Children
2. Durban Child Youth Care Center | 80 Children
3. Domino Foundation Babies Home | 6 Babies
4. Philangethemba Molweni | 30 Children
How to apply for a FreshBox Sustainable Food Grant:
You will hear back from us within 3 weeks, either:
- requesting more information about your organisation prior to setting a meeting, or
- rejecting the application and providing feedback on how you can improve your application for next time.
If your application is successful we will sit and work out the most effective way for us to work together to bring healthy food to the children your organization helps.
Once we are in agreement on how we can best work together, we will sign an MOU indicating how much food will be donated weekly and how we will work together to distribute it and monitor our partnership’s impact.
Our Sustainable Financial Model
- Customers to purchase a weekly subscription of fruit and/or vegetables for a competitive market rate of R16 to R26 per kg;
- It costs R7 to R8 per kg to fill the customer subscription;
- R3 to R4 per kg to donate the equivalent amount to children in poverty; leaving
- a margin of R4 to R16 per kg sold to grow and run the company.
As indicated by the financial and impact model below, this means that with 220 subscribers averaging 4.2lkg/week FreshBox was financially sustainable and able to operate independently of donors. A more detailed model can be viewed here.
Our Social Impact Philosophy
FreshBox believes in:
1. sustainable social business; and
2. giving effectively to maximise impact.
We use all proceeds to provide ‘sustainable food grants’ to registered organizations who can prove high impact. These are weekly supplies of fruit and vegetables distributed to children of high need.
This is where doing good gets tough.
We want the food we donate, to have the deepest impact on as many children as possible.
It would be disingenuous to our customers, donors and the community if we weren’t striving to do the most good we can do.
This is our challenge to NGOs around our community:
We are going to master
- Generating as much bulk healthy food as possible to donate to children at-risk of malnutrition, and
- Finding the best organizations to partner with to distribute the food we donate.
We have an obligation to our customers, donors, and the community at large to rigorously evaluate the most effective causes to donate our supply bulk healthy food.
So if your organization or an organization you know could benefit from a sustainable food grant, please fill out an application for a sustainable food grant.
We are looking to give FreshBox Weekly Sustainable Food Grants to the organizations that will have the largest impact.
“The challenge for us is this: How can we ensure that, when we try to help others, we do so as effectively as possible?”
Internal Transparency Measures:
All donations administered through this google form.